A committed classicist, Vincent Bitouzet has provided us with over 30 years of excellent and age-worthy wines, both red and white, from the heart of the Cote de Beaune. Based in Volnay and blessed with extensive holdings in Meursault as well, this domaine is a tried-and-true standard bearer for all that is fundamentally great in Burgundy.
Volnay is the land of silk for reds – with its amazing texture it’s one of the most interesting and transparent villages in all of burgundy. Meursault is perhaps one of the most distinctive villages for chardonnay in burgundy, with flavors that are hard to miss, and quite addictive! Vincent and Francois Bitouzet rigorously tend their vineyards, practicing organic viticulture, the use of organic compost, when necessary, no herbicides or pesticides and severe limitations on the use of copper sulfate. Harvest is done manually. Classic Burgundian vinification with only indigenous yeasts is practiced at this traditional domaine.
Meursault 1er Cru "Les Charmes" (Bitouzet-Prieur) 2016
- Mineral, stony, yet with explosive aromatics and a round buttery mouthfeel
- A gem in our burgundy portfolio
- 2016 is a vintage that is showing well as a bright younger wine but has structure to age for some time.
Volnay (Bitouzet-Prieur) 2017
- On a par with the more limited and expensive bottles from the domaine
- Impeccable purity of fruit
- Haunting balance
- enough structure to allow for gradual and striking improvement in the cellar.
Volnay 1er Cru "Les Pitures" (Bitouzet-Prieur) 2016
- Firmest, most elemental sense of structure of all the Volnay premier crus
- Situated near the Pommard border and adjacent to the fabled Clos des Ducs.
- Expresses the broad, sanguine fruit more typically associated with Pommard, although a profound Volnay-esque sense of elegance permeates it as well.